Wurstkuchl (Sausage Kitchen)

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Wurstkuchl (Sausage Kitchen) in Regensburg, Germany. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Oh my goodness … I recognize the place from it’s photos. I have eaten there! I have to admit that it was something like 20 years ago, and I ate there simply because I was hungry, not the least bit aware of the history of the place.

Regansburg will stand out in my mind forever. It is a magnificent city with a magnificent cathedral. But, at the time that I was there, it offered an attraction that I could not pass up. The adventure begins when you park you car on a secure lot at the train station. Next you buy a train ticket, one way, from Vienna to Regensburg. Along with the ticket comes a bicycle rental. Do you see the plan? You will ride the bicycle on a magnificent path along either side of the Danube River from Regensburg up to Vienna. When you are ready to return, you have a paid ticket for the train ride for you and your bike back down to Regensburg. You can tell that it is unlikely that I will ever forget having that experience. I have forgotten the details such as cost, and I have not verified that the service is still available. But, if it is, I could not recommend it more. And, for anyone who is worried about a long bike ride, forget it. Rivers seldom flow uphill or down hill. So, this is without doubt the most flat bike path that I have ever seen. The route is dotted with gasthouses for the bikers at what seems like every couple kilometers for the entire route. The company from other bikers is the best on earth. You might even meet someone from your own country, but maybe not. If possible, don’t miss it.

John W

2 Likes

Regensburg is an interesting old city on the Danube, which I visited in 2017. There are Roman and medieval structures - the bridge and cathedral are notable. It is also a stop for a number of cruise lines so you will find pricey shops, and lots of tourists at times.

1 Like

I was in Regensbug in April of this year. Our guide gave us the option of leaving the tour at this restaurant and told us a bit of its history. I did stop there and went inside for sausages and sauerkraut which were very good. Up a street or 2 we walked along an old Roman fort which had been taken over as a residence and brewery by the Prince Bishop after the Romans left. Across the street I found one of the plaques placed in front of a house lived in by a Jewish person killed by the Nazis. I was moved by this more than most of the things I saw on that river cruise. I have included a photo of the back of the restaurant, the old Roman wall, the plaque and inside the restaurant. IMG_8708|375x500

2 Likes

Thank you for posting these!

John W has found our secret! Three retirees from the US, we rent bikes and ride along Europe’s famous rivers: the Danube, the Mosel, several in the Netherlands and next year the Rhine. We stay in hotels for 3 nites, ride upstream one day and train back, ride downstream the next day and train back, day 3 we play tourist and train 2 sections downstream and repeat the process. No cars, no bikes. It works great in Europe, not so much in the US, we rent a pickup and take our own bikes. Retirement is awesome!!!

1 Like