Wyntoon

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Wyntoon in McCloud, California. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

Without having physically been there, it appears that the location mentioned in this article is the correct one. I found some contradictory information elsewhere a month ago, and I cannot relocate it at the moment. One article even suggested Wyntoon is in the Donner Lake vicinity. Odd.

06/13/20 - After “Secret - Abandoned Brothel” & Sierra Army Depot, it was pretty clear this was going to be a day of strikeouts. I actually had more hope of getting nearer to Sierra Army Depot than to Wyntoon. I had time on my hands, so I explored approaches from 3 cardinal directions here and encountered ~8 locked gates (I lost count). It is not uncommon for NFS roads to be gated, so whether these are from a logging company or other property owners, or whether the family bought up all the surrounding parcels of land…the closest I got was 6-8 miles. Nothing doing.

1 Like