Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel

Welcome to the Atlas Obscura Community discussion of Zion-Mount Carmel Tunnel in Utah. Ask questions or share travel tips, experiences, pictures, or general comments with the community. For the story behind this place, check out the Atlas Obscura entry:

My wife and I had a great time visiting Zion National Park, and found this tunnel intriguing. A week after we left, someone drove his commercial truck into the tunnel (?!) shutting down the tunnel for a week (trying to get it back out of there.) Conversely, the east side of the tunnel, pretty much right at the exit, is where starts an easy hiking trail (so easy I did it) that goes up to a spectacular view.

How does one get out of the tunnel? Is only one vehicle at a time permitted in the tunnel?

It’s been awhile for me, but I’m pretty sure it was a two lane tunnel, just that a stuck truck would have blocked both lanes.

Regardless, it’s worth checking out! The windows go by quickly, but the view are magnificent. I also recall the road being a very pleasing brown rather than black. It’s a very successful WPA project.

Isn’t this the tunnel that they filmed the first scenes of the 1977 movie “The Car” in? Looks awfully familiar.